Apple has a lot of images to tell us how to look cool with an iPod, but one of these images is not like the other. Can you guess which one? If so, you get a prize…

ipod silhouette green ipod silhouette purple

ipod silhouette yellow ipod silhouette blue

If you guessed the blue one, you’re exactly right. And your prize – more stuff to read! I know you’re thrilled.

The blue image is actually me with my iPod and new headphones. Why new headphones? Well, an oral fixation doesn’t go well with dangling wires near your mouth, and I tend to chew through the wires during high pressure deadlines. So I go through a lot of headphones.

Anyway, on to the topic of my new headphones: Apple’s In-Ear Headphones. I needed headphones in a hurry, so I swung by the Apple store. I was looking for the standard headphones that come with the iPod, but they weren’t there, so I went with this alternative.

While they advertise three different sizes of ear buds, they generally seem to do little to actually guarantee that they will fit in your ear. The issue isn’t so much the size of the ear buds; rather, it’s the rubber that they use to make them. The rubber is flexible, but not malleable – so it tries to regain its shape once its in your ear, and pops out as a result. Hence the blue image.

Now you can imagine how uncool it is to be walking to school with your fingers in your ears because your headphones keep popping out. And don’t get even get me started about how impossible it is to do homework while you are busy holding your headphones in your ear. But on the bright side, I’ve learned that I might have a future in marketing for Apple.

Be Sociable, Share!

Average Rating: 4.8 out of 5 based on 236 user reviews.

The conversation continues...

1. On October 21st, 2005 at 12:52 am, Jason said:

So…. none of your pictures ever show up for me, so this post is completely lost to me.

Just thought you should know

2. On October 21st, 2005 at 12:56 am, Jason said:

Ok, so ever since I posted about not seeing pictures, you site has become a veritable plethora a imagery. Suddenly there are pictures all over, in lots of posts, sooooo……. I’m not sure.

3. On October 21st, 2005 at 9:21 am, Eric said:

Same thing happened to me. Expensive ass headphones that don’t stay in your ears. It was ok during the winter because my hat kept them in, but I eventually just had to give up.

4. On October 21st, 2005 at 2:08 pm, Dave Young said:

I have the same headphones and they suck!

Mine stay in my ears but do require a great deal of attention when placing them into my ears the in ear (can’t hear) nature is a bit too touchy and directional. If i move too much all of a sudden it is the side walls of the inner ear that receive the sub par music clarity while my eardrum sits unhappily quiet in a fog of muddy midtones missing any definition or base.

Sony MDR-EX71SL however seem to have a pretty fanatic fan base (just ask Janette Fong) they were the ones I planed on getting from amazon for $29.99. I however did not but can attest that the sound of these are much better. AND they are available in white so you can still pose for those sammy glam shots.

peas out
    *snap

5. On October 21st, 2005 at 8:18 pm, Jenn said:

i have the sony ones like dave. of course…my ears are a bit…waxy or something and the earphones attract a lot of nice dust. but sure sam you can try them!

at the same time though, because i can’t hear a single thing when i wear my earphones, i wonder if i am ruining my ears when i turn up the music, but that’s a tradeoff i must take with any earphones.

on another note, i thought it was you picking your nose not sticking your finger in your ear.

6. On October 22nd, 2005 at 12:20 am, zsz said:

Yeah… Jenn… that’s pretty gross. As you can see by the placement of my headphone wires, my fingers and the ear buds are generally converging at the same point, so you should follow that. ;)

Alternatively, you can just refresh the browser until the actual picture comes up at the top of the right sidebar.

7. On October 24th, 2005 at 4:57 am, Chaia said:

You guys are killing my dream. I have wanted the in-ear headphones for a long time now and you’re saying they suck? :(

What do you think?